Wednesday, January 20, 2010

"Mommy, mommy, there's a MONSTER outside the window!!"

I was sitting on the sofa in the living room, studying, when I was suddenly interrupted by a loud "thud." When I turned my head toward the direction of the sound I saw that Sarabi had fallen of her perch and had pushed herself into the very far corner of the cage while she was shaking like a leaf. Then I heard another noice. Mechanical, this time. "Mommy, mommy, there's a MONSTER outside the window!!" I'm almost certain that Sarabi was thinking while I was shocked to find a man outside the window! Lets just say that I don't exactly live on the bottom floor, more like a couple of stories over. The man was some kind of builder and he was standing on the platform of one of those lifting cranes and his job was apparently to scrape away snow from the roof. Since it was a studying day for me I hadn't bothered changing clothes from my "pyjamas", so I was a little embarassed to say the least even though my main priority was my terrified baby parrot, so a little embarassment would have to wait! I walked over to the cage, while speaking in a soft, reassuring voice, and gently lifted Sarabi into my arms. Then I went away from the living room and sat down on the floor with one of my t-shirts as a "shield" over Sarabi. At first her heart was pounding at an incredible speed and her entire body was trembling, but after a while, when she realised that she was safe inside my t-shirt, she calmed down. She even started to scrape with her beak - a sign of her now being content. When the "danger" was over I removed her from under my t-shirt (not without difficulty as Sarabi kept trying to "dive" back in) and placed her in her cage again. To say the least, this was a very odd day for both Sarabi and me!

No comments:

Post a Comment