Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Bird muffin recipe

While in the States I bought The Healthy Bird Cookbook - A lifesaving nutritional guide and recipe collection by Robin Deutsch and today I decided to give one of the recipes a try. Here is the recipe, with a few moderations:

Broccoli Cheese Muffins
1 cup flour
1 cup multi-grain flour2 tbs. baking powder
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup chopped broccoli (use the tops)
1/4 cup grated carrots
1/4 cup shredded cheese (cheddar, in the recipe, but I used Gouda)
1 tsp. ground nutmeg (I lacked this ingredient so did not use it)
1 tbs. salt
1 egg with shell (washed)
1/2 cup yoghurt (I used vanilla flavored yoghurt)
1 cup milk1 tsp lemon juice (lacked this ingredient aswell so I added a few drops of lime juice)
1/4 cup honey
1 cup corn (ingredient that I decided to add into the mix)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit (I heated the oven to 175 degrees celcius). Grease or line muffin tins. In a large bowl, mix the flours together. Add the other dry ingredients and mix together. In another bowl, beat together the egg, yoghurt, honey, milk, and lemon (lime) juice. Pour into the dry ingredients and mix well. Add the broccoli and carrots (and corn), mixing well. Bake for 35-40 minutes (I needed about 20-25 minutes) or until a toothpick, stuck into a muffin and pulled out, comes out clean (Deutsch, 2004).

Result:

When I first introduced a muffin to Sarabi she was extremely suspicious and even tried to attack it, so I put it in her food bowl instead of trying to feed it to her "by hand." After a while I noticed that she had decided to go for it and within a few minutes the muffin was totally devoured. In other words, this first attempt at baking for a bird was a success! I can definately recommend Robin's book for all bird owners out there who want their bird(s) to be healthy, get the varied diet they need and to make it fun, in the process! The book does not only contain recipes but also lots of important information about bird nutrition.

1 comment:

  1. ooh, I will definitely try to make these. I am always looking for new recipes for our timneh :D

    ReplyDelete