Monday, November 8, 2010

How to teach your bird to "stretch" on command


Sarabi can stretch her wings on command. The command word and signal I use when I want her to stretch her wings is the word "stretch" while simultaneously stretching my own left arm (sometimes both) high into the air. Every time Sarabi executes the command I praise her by, very enthustiastically, proclaiming what a "gooood girl" she is. The praise (reward) is very important! I taught Sarabi the "stretch command" simply by saying the word, while stretching my own arms, every time she herself stretched her wings, and by praising her afterward. African Greys are highly intelligent animals and it did not take long for Sarabi to understand the connection between the command and the action itself.

Sarabi also does kissing noises when I ask her to "gimme' a kiss." Other things that she's learnt is how to tell herself what a good girl she is by saying: "you're such a goood girl!" She also mumbles "gimme' a kiss" followed by the kisses themselves.


No comments:

Post a Comment